Senior Web Developer/Architect
- Salary: $80,000 – $100,000 a year
- Job Type: Full-time
- Qualifications: Software development: 5 years (Required)
- Location: Madison, WI/Remote Available
- Schedule: Monday – Friday
Full Job Description
Are you a developer wanting to join a small web development company (team under 20) and finds value in the following related to your job: supportive management and project team; a company with strong core values; work-life balance; friendly, casual work environment; customer experience focused; diversity of projects and technologies; flexible remote working policy; and work smart with a purpose -not just work hard?
Since 1999, Earthling Interactive has provided custom consulting and development using web technology and creative ideas to solve business problems to transform a business’s digital presence, including websites, web applications, eCommerce, and digital marketing + CRM services. We consider ourselves partners to our clients and know our success and longevity are due to the many successful relationships our team has built and maintained with our clients.
We are based in Madison, WI and are committed to serving both established enterprises and emerging sectors. It is our closely held belief that an investment in digital technology by our clients will elevate their already competitive region. Our goal is to contribute to their customers’ digital transformation that will deliver them a competitive edge.
Primary Job Functions:
Your primary responsibility is to architect the technical design of and serve as a senior developer for digital solutions for clients’ businesses, including eCommerce and CMS websites. You will interact closely with our business section Directors and project tech leads as well as our clients. You will serve an integral role in the delivery of exceptional services to our clients and will be at the forefront of ensuring we provide best-in-class technical service to our clients!
Essential roles & responsibilities:
- Approximately 35% of your time will be providing software architect consulting for 1 to 4 projects at any one time, depending on size. This will include technical design, technical project oversight (directing developers on the method to use and possibly helping when they can’t figure something out), and code reviews.
- Approximately 50% of your time will be spent on coding both front-end and back-end portions of web-based systems; steering project direction with the client and project manager; discussing technical solutions; providing project and client consulting on requirements gathering through project delivery; and providing innovative new ideas for client’s web-based products
- Approximately 5 to 10% of your time will be spent contributing to the improvements and advancement of our development tools, techniques, and languages as well as your professional development. You will contribute to thought-leadership content for marketing purposes.
- Approximately 5 to 10% of your time will be internal business items such as team and staff meetings.
- Knowledge of and experience with CMS, SaaS, and extensions: WordPress, Magento, Drupal, Headless CMS (nice-to-have), WooCommerce, Shopify
- Knowledge of and experience with server languages: Apache, NGINX
- Repository and server management
- Database modeling and complex queries
- Design of technical infrastructure for web-based solutions
- Strong communications and writing skills
- Strong leadership; organized; detail-oriented
- Firm knowledge and familiarity of the software development process
- Solid troubleshooting skills
- Ability to conceptualize, create and code review Magento extensions and WordPress plug-ins]
- Ability and willingness to assist with local development environment configuration (Homebrew, Docker, Valet+, PHP, NGINX, Composer)
- Technical project budgeting
- Deploying web-based software to web and database server
- General knowledge of various control panels and hosting environments
5 plus years working with a web-based software development company as a mid-level experienced or senior developer or already in a similar role.
Must possess a positive outlook, have a growth mindset, be a critical thinker, be personable and approachable, and instill a willingness to learn and adapt.
Customer experience is key to the required results we expect for this position. Produce digital solutions that meet or exceed the needs of the client and budget. Contribute to the increase of the agency’s brand awareness and consistently satisfied customers through delivering best-in-class digital solutions.
Required Cognitive Skills:
- Innovative problem-solving: The ability to extract the big picture of what the client wants. The ability to generate technical ideas and strategies to meet the business needs of a project. When required, use inventiveness to solve challenging problems while weighing existing solutions against budget and timeline.
- The ability to work under pressure (deadlines and or limited budgets); Mental toughness and resilience.
The ability to work with team members to recognize when they are struggling with a problem and assist in working through solutions.
- Possess critical, analytical, and creative thinking to synthesize complex information to identify, evaluate, problem solve, make decisions and give direction to produce best-in-class digital solutions.
- Demonstrated motivational skills and self-driven with ambitions to grow technical skills and experience
- Informed – stay current on web-based technical trends and solutions
- Wonder – considers a different or better way to solve a problem
- Punctual – show up on time if not 5 minutes early
- Goals – actions & behavior are always striving towards your goal
- Responsible – follow through with commitments made
- Process-oriented – follow existing, refine, and establish new as necessary to continually improve processes that influence customer experience
- Persistent with communication, explanation, and follow-up
- Willing to direct a client reasonably outside their, and our teams’, comfort zones
- Strong leadership – lead by example, appropriate delegation, trust but verify
- Consistent habits and tactics for positive customer experience – inspire staff to recognize and follow your lead on customer experience; a habit of responding to clients within 24 hours
- Consistent adherence and exemplification of Earthling’s core values – challenge with respect; deliver on our commitments; be generous with your insight; listen, notice and respond, and enjoy the journey
Success Looks Like:
- Producing best-in-class software
- Efficient and robust web-based technical designs
- Satisfied customers
- Engaged members of our project teams
- Projects delivered on-time and on- or under-budget
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance